Thursday, November 27, 2008

Reflections on Advent

In keeping with the random theme of this blog, I have decided to post some of my personal reflections on the coming season of Advent.

This Sunday, the 30th of November, is the First Sunday of Advent, and marks the start of a new Catholic Liturgical Year.

Advent is derived from the Latin "Adventus", which means "coming" or "arrival". Advent is a season when Catholics are encouraged to prepare themselves for Christmas, when we celebrate the anniversary of the birth of Christ. Advent is also a time for Catholics to reflect on our own lives and how prepared are we for the Second Coming of Christ, of which we know not the hour.

As I prepare to enter the season of Advent, I am once again wrestling with various doubts and questions about my life and my own faith. What does Jesus Christ really mean to me? Does the miracle of the Incarnation and Birth of Christ really matter to me? Have I lived my life like how a Christian should, or have I become lost along the way, blinded by my pride and my ambition?

As part of my preparation for Christmas, I will try to reflect more deeply on the Gospel Readings for the Advent Sundays. The reading for the first Sunday of Advent is taken from Mark 13:33-37. The reading uses the analogy of a master who has gone away on a journey and left his servants in charge of the house to exhort Christians to be watchful and always prepared, for we know not the hour when the master shall return. "Therefore keep watch because you do not know when the owner of the house will come back" " If he comes suddenly, do not let him find you sleeping" Far too often in my life, I have fallen asleep. Far too often, especially of late, I have neglected my duties to God and neighbour. This Gospel reading is indeed a timely wake up call for me, to strive to improve myself and my life so that when the master returns, he shall find me prepared to welcome him.

I shall end this post with a verse from a German Advent Hymn:

"Wir sagen euch an den lieben Advent.
Sehet die erste Kerze Brennt.
Wir sagen euch an eine heilige Zeit.
Machet dem Herrn die Wege bereit"


3 comments:

theAbygayle said...

Okay! Just one word, just once...inspiring! It's a really rare thing that people blog about Christianity. But you did! I'm so glad you did! Haha.I'm really bored.xD

Matthew 7:7-11
Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you. For every one that asketh receiveth; and he that seeketh findeth; and to him that knocketh it shall be opened.
Or what man is there of you, whom if his son ask bread, will he give him a stone? Or if he ask a fish, will he give him a serpent? If ye then, being evil, know how to give good gifts unto your children, how much more shall your Father which is in heaven give good things to them that ask him?

Love,
-abigail-

keira said...

one word! pro!XD

Senhor Diferente said...

Thank you :)Glad that you all found the post inspiring then :)